Summer 2018 is approaching sooner rather than later. If you have not had a chance to think about this, then now is the time. Often lifeguards want to know the best places to lifeguard. Lifeguards have options, as they are needed. You can guard at a day camp, a commercial pool company, at a theme park, swim club, fitness center, or for private parties. Each location has their pros and cons. However, only you can decide. Here are some questions to ask:
- What does my summer schedule look like?
- Do I want to work at a job where there are many lifeguards, management on deck at all times, paid lunches and breakfasts, an opportunity to enjoy special events, teach swim lessons, and make money on the side guarding for events?
- Do I want to work at a community pool where I am potentially the only lifeguard?
- How much money will I make?
- Do I have a contracted work schedule or does the place have flexible scheduling?
- Will the employer pay for my certification training, or will I have to pay for my certification training?
- When does college or school start?
- What opportunities do I get to build my resume?
- Are there promotional opportunities?
- Day Camps- If you are looking for a location where it’s very social, meals are provided, training is covered, and you have a fixed schedule you will enjoy working at a day camp.
- Commerical Pool Company’s- these locations are great for guards who do not mind being by themselves, looking for flexible scheduling opportunities and do not mind paying for their own certification training.